Friday, August 29, 2008

This is more than a story, this is my life

Hey Friends,

I am guessing that many of you are tired of me talking about Domestic Violence. I mean it's been a few years already. The truth is, this is my life. I will advocate for change and a woman's right for a safe and healthy life until the day I die. For some reason God has chosen me for this cause, and I don't question it.

I spoke to a good friend last night and told her that all my experiences dealing with Domestic Violence has to bring about change or it has all been in vain. I mean with the #1 killer of Black women between the ages of 15 to 45 being homicide by a previous or current intimate partner; Domestic Violence is a cause that we ALL should take seriously. I love all people, however, I am passionate about saving our Black women, because who really cares about us? With many black women contracting HIV, being abused, being killed - we all have to stick together to promote change.

All I ask from you is to start and keep the discussion going. Speak about these issues with your family, friends, associates, co-workers, etc. If we stay silent than how will that help our children. We have to MAKE our voices heard, because many people do not want to listen to what we have to stay. I refuse to be a victim, and I damn sure will not be a silent one. I hope many of you hold the same sentiment. Black women are powerful, beautiful and intelligent survivors of many social ills. Let's continue to fight injustice and prepare a better future for the generations to follow.

With sincerity,

Black Woman Survivor

No comments: