Sunday, August 3, 2008

Weapons Can Backfire

I want to be honest so that those who are experiencing a similiar situation know that you are not alone and those who don't truly understand the daily problems that evolve from DV will become more knowledgible. However, I have to share as much as I can while keeping my children and myself safe.

Many people have suggested that I get a weapon to protect myself. Getting a weapon is NOT the best idea. When I consulted with advocates I was told that the weapon the victim had to protect herself from harm, often becomes the same weapon that is taken from her and used against her. Sometimes leading to fatal injuries.

Note: I am not trying to be biases because I know I refer to victims as her, and batterers as him. Domestic Violence is a male, female, hetersexual, homosexual, low-income, middle-income, upper-income, Black, White, Hispanic, Asian epidemic...it doesn not discriminate. Violence against women by intimate partners of men is the highest demographic facing this issue. That is why I use the her - him terms.

There are no easy answers of how to deal with this problem. There is a careful balance that victims must have, victims have to keep themselves safe while not making their abuser more angry=dangerous. Leaving a a batterer sounds like an easy solution, but it is the most dangerous. That is why it is Very, very, very important to consult with a professional for a safe exit strategy. 75% of women are killed after leaving an abusive relationship.

Remember that the best way to help end the Domestic Violence cycle is to get safe, get help, get informed and spread awareness!

No comments: