Thursday, September 18, 2008

He will always have some control

Two weeks ago my exboyfriend decided he could intrude on my personal space by coming to my home. The experience left me feeling fearful, confused and angry. Moving is tiresome and expensive. I moved from my home back in May to a new address so that he would not find me. When he did find me, it was a frustrating situation. Why did I bother to move? Why did I go through all the expensive, stress and time of finding a new home?

Remembering all that was involved with moving I decided I would not allow him to chase me from the new place I called home. After all, if I moved and he found me again, all my efforts would be in vain. Well, the decision to move again was thrust upon me. I basically had little choice in the matter because my apartment complex did not want to deal with another 'situation' if my ex decided to make another unwanted visit to my door.

Again, I was forced to do another apartment search, which is not an easy task on public transportation with two kids in the heat. Without complaint, I did what needed to be done. Once I found a new home I had to get boxes and pack. I was blessed to find someone to physically move me for a low cost. Now I am getting settled into my new environment. I still am bitter that I had to move, but am also very grateful that we found a new home where we are safer. Until he decides to leave us alone for good, we will never be completely safe from him.

This situation demonstrates the kind of stress a battered woman experiences, even after she has made the courageous steps to leave a domestic violence situation she is never has complete control of her life from the hands of her batterer. At any time he may show up to her home, place of work, her children's school or any place she may go. One can only pray that when she does see him that he will not do her any harm.

No comments: